At Helmsley Community Primary School, we are committed to supporting the emotional health and wellbeing of our pupils and staff. We know that everyone experiences life challenges that can make us vulnerable and at times, anyone may need additional emotional support. We take the view that positive mental health is everybody’s responsibility and that we all have a role to play.
At our school, we promote a mentally healthy environment through:
- Promoting our school values and encouraging a sense of belonging
- Promoting pupil voice and opportunities to participate in decision-making
- Celebrating academic and non-academic achievements in order to promote self-esteem
- Providing opportunities to develop a sense of worth through taking responsibility for themselves and others
- Providing opportunities to reflect
- Access to appropriate support that meets their needs
- Helping children to understand their emotions and feelings better and to feel comfortable sharing any concerns or worries
- Helping children to develop emotional resilience and to manage setbacks
- buddy/mentor system
Wellbeing Wednesday Assemblies
Each Wednesday we hold an assembly with a focus on wellbeing. This would include topics such as:
Appreciation, gratitude, friendships, online safety, wellbeing strategies and self -esteem.
Lunchtime nurture sessions are available for children who require space and time to talk. Children can interact with a trained adult over selected activities to engage discussion.