The Spanish curriculum allows children to discover cultures outside fostering a curiosity to learn more about traditions and customs in Spanish-speaking countries. Children will identify phonics and patterns in language and begin to make connections between Spanish and their home language/s. Children will be able initiate introductory conversation and describe themselves as well as using the key skills of speaking and writing in full sentences using the present tense and express their wishes and opinions. Children will be able to read and listen to familiar language in present tense and show comprehension, allowing them to be well equipped to access the curriculum at Key Stage 3 when they will begin to develop their grammatical skills such as using different tenses, making comparisons and facing unfamiliar language.
- In KS1 pupils are introduced to key vocabulary and basic greetings to help prepare them for KS2
- Our creative and innovative sequential approach, which progressively develops language skills using the Ryedale Learning Trust Scheme of Learning. This allows the children to acquire new words and phrases, then use and apply these in a range of different scenarios
- A range of spoken and written focus tasks are used
- Children will record their work through pictures, captions and sentences
- Class Spanish books are used that are high quality and evidence the highest expectations of work
- Knowledge, skills and vocabulary is sequenced and progresses across the school.